Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Matamoros/Guatemala

I had not been at Greenville for a whole month when I decided to go on a mission trip.  I had never left the country or done anything spontaneous that would have fallen under the category of 'out of my comfort zone.'  It was an adventure that opened my eyes to a lot of things and the experience as a whole definitely changed me. It was amazing to see these poor people who had next to nothing, so much more content with life the most Americans.  I've cleaned every plate of food since that summer and my whole view towards life was altered.  It was the start of my love for Spanish.  The trip planted a seed in me that has now developed a heart for serving.  Before Guatemala, I ordered the same thing every time I went to a particular restaurant.  I never wanted to try anything new.  Now, it's the opposite.  I almost always order something I haven't tried and am constantly hungry for new experiences in general. I love trying anything and everything new. 
It is not difficult to come to the conclusion that my experience abroad in a poor country affected me much more than any difference I made.  I'm not saying I didn't have any impact. Along with my group, we did lots of different things.  My small group in particular worked with the livestock and agriculture aspect of things.  






But I have been left questioning short-term mission trips.  I am very grateful for the people who financially supported me; they helped me raise like $1,800 to go on the trip.  .......Eighteen Hundred dollars!!!?!!  I was there for a mere twenty days.  What could possibly have been done with that money?  The American dollar will go far in a poor country like that.  Now I'm not saying I think we should always just sit at home and throw money at a problem.  Jesus clearly says to 'go and make people of all nations.'  I just think we need to be more deliberate in weighing the costs.  I don't remember the exact numbers but I read an article once that talked about how it cost 13-ish college students over $30,000 total to spend three-ish weeks on a mission trip to South America.  The leader in the South American country could not help but comment on how that total was over half their yearly budget.  In most situations it is better to financially support the people already serving there and the mission they have worked so hard to build.  There are often complaints about cultural insensitivity and unintentional tampering with the spiritual component, already put in place by full-time missionaries.  I'm a big believer in building a relationship with a person as you walk them through what it means to give your life to Jesus; not show up in their life for a couple days and then hit the road, usually never to return.  It is an issue I wrestle with a lot.  If money is involved, which it almost always is, I'm on the side that says don't spend it.  If I'm going to drop big bucks on plane tickets and such, I better be serving for months or years, not days. 

I was so happy when I an opportunity to go to Mexico recently came up.  I was at home on winter break and my high school siblings were talking about Spring Break.  Then I realized that as a substitute teacher, 'hey, I have a Spring Break!!'  So I set to work immediately trying to find a way to serve during that week.  I was so excited simply at the potential possibilities of a whole entire free week. Very soon after, on a whim I ended up visiting a good friend of mine from college.  Side note: if my December travel plans had transpired the way I originally wanted, I would not have had the opportunity to visit this friend, or others for that matter.  Anyways, he told me he had a good friend in Mexico who runs a ministry!!  I was so excited.  It is in Matamoros, just across the border from Brownsville in the deep south of Texas.  I emailed him immediately and he was very welcoming.  I am stokeddddd, for several reasons.  One is the opportunity to do manual labor.  Not everyone understands this but there is just a feeling of satisfaction that comes from a hard days work, that you cannot get anywhere else.  Ever since I left the midwest, those opportunities are not common for me.  Secondly, I have the opportunity to go serve in a foreign country for very cheap, especially compared to going to Guatemala.  I bought a round-trip bus ticket for $88 and I leave Saturday morning.  I'm also excited to see the rest of Texas.  Besides coming and going to Texas, I have only left the Metroplex once, which is kind of embarrassing. Anyways, this is a mission trip much more up my alley: no rules, no insurance forms, no touristy side trips, no paperwork, no asking people for money, no super-easy volunteer work, etc.  No fluff, just Jesus. 

Whenver I mention the name 'Matamoros' no one has anything good to say about it. The place is rife with drug cartels and gang violence.  However, it is not as bad as it used to be and America media, without a doubt, blows it out of proportion and sensationalizes everything.  Anyways, as I said in my hitchhiking post, I do not think we should just toss ourselves to the wolves.  But when I read the bible, it is clear that as Christians, we should not be afraid of danger or to suffer.  If missionaries just said, 'ah it's hazardous and risky.  I think I'll pass,' how would those people ever be reached?
Paul was not afraid to go wherever God was leading, no matter the cost. In Acts 20:20-24 he says,

"20 You know that I have not hesitated to preach anything that would be helpful to you but have taught you publicly and from house to house. 21 I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus. 22 And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. 23 I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. 24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace."
And in 1 Peter 4:19, it says, "19 So then, those who suffer according to God’s will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good."  I'm not saying we need to find dangerous places and blindly run to them.  But if that is where God is calling, we should have courage and walk boldly with faith in His will.  I'm totally ready to get out of the concrete jungle and get away from this comfortable easy life.  I think we spend way too much time in our affluent and cozy lives, as well as our safe jobs and safe churches.  I can think of no better way to spend nine of my free days.  Let another adventure begin. 

"The only fatal thing is to sit down content with anything less than perfection."
-CS Lewis 

No comments:

Post a Comment