Thursday, March 28, 2013

Mexican Style

I've always wondered what the difference was between 'ghetto' and 'redneck,' when referring to something ill-constructed or thrown together to hold it for a while.  If a car is missing a door and instead has wood paneling, is that ghetto or redneck? 

Well I now have a third word to throw in: 'Mexican.'  There were multiple times when we just found a way to make something work, with safety, codes and 'proper procedure' all but going out the window.  For example, one time we couldn't find the mop, so Z just got the broom, put a rag over the end and bam, we had a 'Mexican style' mop. Or we didn't have a mechanical way to stir the mortar, so we got a thin stick or pole and started stirring by hand in the five-gallon bucket.  I'm a person who likes to work.  I loved it.  I loved that unless I buckled down and stirred hard with my hands and my own human strength, instead of pushing a button, the mixture was not going to be made.  At first Z didn't believe me, that I think like that, that I like to go back to the basics and do things 'old school.'

Then we were using a tile saw, which requires a water pump. Water has to be constantly put on the diamond blade or else it immediately gets too hot, sparks, and damages the machine and your piece of tile.  Well, the pump wasn't working, so we poked a hole in the top of a water bottle and started squirting simultaneously.  Where I come from, that would not fly, for one man to do that alone.  Or another time we were working above the stairs and had trouble getting up into the corner.  Of course, we didn't have a convenient Little Giant adjustable ladder, so they threw down a quarter inch piece of pliewood and put one single 2x4 under it.  That was definitely Mexican Style. 
I loved it.  I hate rules.  I hate regulations and being told you can't do it this way or that way.  We had a job to do, we figured out how to do it and we did it.  I'm not saying I hate rules, like a troublemaker hates rules.  I hate rules for the sake of rules.

Z was an awesome guy with quite a testimony.




I saw very few vehicles that you wouldn't see in the States.



Then we went to the dump. Well they call it the dump because it is where the dump used to be.  The people that live there are called squatters.  They just put a 'house' on a piece of land until someone tells them to leave or demands they pay for or rent their squattage.  I've only seen a more desolate situation in Guatemala.  I'm talking about dirt floors, four walls made out of wood and two pieces of tin for a roof.  We partnered with a missionary group and some local teens to bring them some food and clothing.  I know some people will say that handouts are just a crutch but the bible teaches if we see some of Jesus' sheep that need fed, we are to do it.  So that's what we did.  The saddest part was how many kids didn't go to school.  At first I just assumed they could not afford it but on my last night I found out that Mexico, like the States, has public education.  The negligence of these people irritated me.  How are your kids supposed to climb out of this cycle of poverty if they don't have an education? 




So I'm glad I saved my tax refund.  As I posted, I was going to use it for selfish purposes.  Then I decided I was going to buy a lady a car.  No lie.  I give her a ride to church every Sunday and her two boys a ride to youth group on Wednesday nights, with the church people-mover.  So I got to know her a bit and found out how she hated not having wheels, struggling to get to work and not being able to pick up her kids.  One time I saw her son walking back from tutoring after school, because he had no other way to get home.  This school isn't just down the street; it's a couple miles away.  She said she was looking to buy a car for around $1,500 and asked if I knew of any.  My first thought was to just give her my car.  I've thought about that lifestyle in general but I've realized how it would force the people around me to sacrifice, just to keep me afloat.  Then one day I was walking around the neighborhood, after a run, and I walked past a 1998 Lexus for sale for two grand.  I called the guy, got some more information and it seemed about perfect.  He said he couldn't sell it right away but I was interested.  I didn't have that much money, but God provides; I'd figure that out later.  I was seriously going to do this, until I found out that weekend that she bought a car.  Sooo I'm pretty glad I didn't buy the car right away. 
I was frustrated.  Here I was, ready to give more than my tax return, but the opportunity slipped away.  However, I reminded myself, it wasn't about how the gesture would make me look, but about her getting a car, and that's what happened.  I'm glad that opportunity slipped away, because a couple weeks later, I was able to bless people who needed my resources more. 
During my week in Mexico, Z and I mainly focused on one room.  I'm not going to say the church is in bad shape but it needs a lot of repairs.  I loved being around this congregation, because they put more importance in the people than in the aesthetics of their building.  We cleaned the room out and laid tile.  We also put in a small section of a wall, but they didn't have money to do that, on top of the tile, so I gave him the money for it.  Halfway through the week, I was like, heck, what am I holding back for?   We ran out of money to finish the tile job, so I was going to get some more money but I got like half of my tax refund and just gave it to Z and his ministry.  Then when he was taking me to the bus station to leave, I told him that if he ever was in a jam for money or needed anything else, to just tell me.  Sure enough, not a week later, he let me know that they needed $400 for gas to go on a mission trip 12 hours away.  I had a check in the mail that day.  I love being needed.  But it seems no one ever really asks for help. 
Growing up in the Midwest, the issue of race has always been centered around African-American people.  So living in Texas and especially on this trip, it has been very interesting for me to learn about the Hispanic influx and the racial tensions and issues there.  Naturally, as a Spanish major and a person who has been on two mission trips to Latin America, I have a heart for the people.  I really got to see, that past the food, the culture, and such, we are really not all that different. 

 "It's not about you." -Rick Warren



No comments:

Post a Comment