Friday, March 22, 2013

Sleepless in Downtown Dallas

As I have said before, I really struggle with patience.  I was talking to Z's wife about this last Friday and she wisely warned to be careful about praying for patience, because God will surely give you tests to develop your patience and character.  Lo and behold, that's what happened.  Saturday, my last day in Matamoros, was a slowww day.  I loved this trip, but whenever I get close to departure, I get on edge and anxious.  For example, in college, on Friday afternoons when I was going home for the weekend or a break, everything stopped. I figured out the earliest time I could leave and dropped everything to make that happen asap.  I never could understand people who would just hang out for a couple hours and just leave whenever. Sometimes I'd even skip class.  So my bus was supposed to be leaving early Sunday morning and I spent most of Saturday just waiting.  And waiting.  I laughed to myself, realizing what was taking place.  It was a test.  But little did I know it was nothing compared to what would ensue the next day.
My ticket said departing Matamoros, Mexico Sunday March 17th at 9:30 am and Z had me there by 8:45 am.  This bus did not even show up until after 10:30 am. Next we headed for border patrol and customs to cross the border.  As always there was a long line of cars and we just inched forward.  Then we got to the station on the US side.  The cars went to the left and got checked individually but since we were on a bus, we had to go to the right and we had to get off and take our stuff to get checked out.  There was also another bus, so I'm looking at this long line of people, with only one guy checking us one by one.  We finally got back to the bus and everyone had put all their stuff in a line on the ground so the dogs could come and sniff all of them.  Z's wife had wonderfully packed me lunch but they took my apple and wouldn't even let me eat it.  All this was taking forever, but since it was my first time I just assumed it was normal.  We finally got completely cleared, allowed to reboard and left for Brownsville, the city right across the border. By now it's past 12:30 pm.  We were supposed to leave Brownsville for Houston at 11.  So there were several people waiting on us to arrive, that were headed for Houston.  But Greyhound overbooked and like 15 people couldn't even board!!  I couldn't believe that.  They already had to wait almost two hours, to find out their wasn't even room.  I felt bad for them. 
This was the Greyhound Express which means it has minimal stops.  But two guys asked/demanded to get off halfway because they didn't realize it was express.  So if it wasn't one thing it was another.  All this caused us to get to Houston at 7:45 pm.  I had a connecting bus from Houston to Dallas at 6 pm and they told me it already left, along with another one at 7:30 pm.  Awesome. So they tell me I have to wait for the next open bus at 12:45 am.  I just wanted to go home, but I didn't have a choice.  Luckily they found me a seat at the 10:15 pm bus to Dallas.  Ok, sweet.  But there's one big problem: I had planned on taking the train from downtown Dallas to Carrollton once I got back to Dallas, but the train stops running at midnight.  So I wasn't sure what I was going to do. 
Through all of this, old Mills would have been pouting and whining and complaining.  I wouldn't have considered the fact that there was probably knowledge and info I wasn't aware of that was causing all of these things. I'm not saying I was devoid of any annoyance but I approached the situation with a much more spirited attitude and a demeanor that there isn't a point to cry about something I can't change.
We roll into downtown Dallas at about 2:30 am.  When I got on this bus in Houston, I knew there wouldn't be much opportunity to sleep, so I tried to get some rest.  Nothing doing.  I did the nodding-off, waking-back-up-every-ten-minutes thing for almost an hour.  That was literally the only shuteye I got all night. 
Taxi.  Yeah, that's it.  I'll take a taxi.  I wasn't even sure there was taxis that late at night but there was.  They were waiting outside the door of the station, in your face.  They told me it'd take $43 to get me that far.  Heckkkkkk no.  I just came from 600 miles from Mexico for $44.  I wasn't going to spend $43 to go 21 miles.  The train started again at 4:57 am.  I decided not to wake anyone up because by the time they got up and got to downtown to get me, it would have only saved me like an hour of time.  So I just had to wait for 5 am.  In the meantime I hung out with homeless black dudes smoking weed.  I asked one guy about the train schedule and as I was walking away he said, 'Hey I got some of that bud.'  No thank you.  I told him I'm already happy.  Later he asked where I was coming from and when I told him about my mission trip, he apologized for trying to sell me Marajuana.  I was going to give one guy some money because he sleeps on the train but didn't have enough for a ticket.  He got caught up with someone else so I just went back to the bus station to rest a bit because it was chilly and windy outside.  It was packed so I had to sit on the floor.  While this urban late night experience was bizarre as a whole, I'm glad I did that because I met some interesting people.  As I have said I love meeting new people, I just had never done it at 3:45 am.  So then I took the train to Carrollton at 4:57 am.  More waiting.  I just wanted to go home.
I got to the Carrollton station at 5:45 am but it is still almost two miles from my house.  By now it is starting to get light out.  So I start hoofing it.  I know a quicker way through a small construction area, so I hopped three fences and kept on trekking. I've always wanted to do that.  6:15 am and the front door!  I made it, after 21.5 hours of traveling.  I wanted adventure and I got it.  I shaved, showered, ate some breakfast and was out the door at 7 am for 5th grade on less than an hour of nodding off.  So one long waiting game was over and another one was starting.  Now I just wanted to go to sleep.
I'm glad it was an easy day.  These were good kids.  I could not believe how 'with-it' I was.  I mean my academic thought-process was hazy but I was definitely able to function.  Then I got home at like 3:30 pm.  I decided since I was feeling okay, to not take a five hour nap because that would jank my sleep schedule up.  That lasted about twenty minutes.  Just like momma said, it hit me.  I woke up at like 7 pm and got in bed.  I woke up at 5:30 am after like 13 hours of sleep.  Who says you can't catch up on lost sleep?  I did not set my alarm and I couldn't remember where I put anything.  I was a bit disoriented but I was good to go. 
I just have a personality that wants everything to happen right now, but the world does not turn on Mills time.  I want to cross everything off the to-do list and move on to accomplish the next task.  I asked for patience and I got a 21.5 hour test where I could do nothing to change what was happening, followed by a full day of work, waiting to hit the sack.  Be careful what you wish for. 

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment