Wednesday, January 23, 2013

'Mexican' DMV

So yesterday, I had an, for a lack of a better word, interesting experience. I'm in this packed DMV and there's all kinds of races and different people. It was only like 1:00 pm and I waited over 1.5 hours. Anyways, this big ole Texan, an older Caucasian man, gets a phone call. He proceeds to have a lengthy phone conversation obnoxiously loud. Keep in mind, it is a packed room, so everyone within 20 feet has to listen to him. He starts off, "Ah h---, I'm down here at this Mexican DMV,.....yeah there's so many g--d--- Chinese and Mexicans in here, I've been waiting over an hour......" It was appalling. He just kept carrying on. I really felt like asking him when he was finished if he was a Native American Indian, and then telling him to kick himself out, because he's an immigrant, same as the Mexicans. Just so you know this is about to go from somewhat reasonable to typical Mills left-field opinionated. I greatly dislike the disdain and contempt that Americans, particularly older Americans, have for Mexicans and other immigrants. Why are we any better than other people? Our ancestors had to immigrate here too. I hate the pledge of allegiance. I am not a Patriot. I do not belong to the USA. I belong to the Kingdom of God. We are called to love and make disciples of all nations. I'm super glad, looking back, that I never signed up for the National Guard or Military or Marines. Now don't hear me incorrectly: I think it is valiant and commendable what those people sacrifice, especially on a humanitarian level. I really do. But I think it is completely wrong to think US citizens are better than human beings from other countries. Our blood isn't golden. Are we really going to look down on these Hispanic parents for trying to get their kids out of poverty and make sure they have a better life than what they grew up in? In a similar situation, wouldn't we behave in the same way? As long as they follow the rules, I don't have a problem with it.

On a happier note, today I had 3rd grade and it was quite enjoyable.  It was on the second floor! That was crazy to me.  I almost tripped on the steps going up but then I looked down and realized they were only about four inches tall each.  I also had my first tooth-loosing experience. "Mister!! Mister!! He has to go to the nurse!! He lost a tooth!!"  "Easyyy kid.  Calmate, take a chill pill." Ain't goin' ta no nurse.  Gave him a kleenex and it was back to work. 

 “The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company ... a church ... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude ... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me, and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you ... we are in charge of our Attitudes."
 --Charles Swindoll

No comments:

Post a Comment