Monday, January 28, 2013

Works vs. Faith

For some reason this seems to be a reoccurring debate.  It has come to my attention because we are studying James.  I've been told that James is one of the most difficult books to reconcile with the others in the New Testament, because it talks so much about doing good works.  So I decided to clear it up for myself, in my own words. 
We are repeatedly told that faith is 'enough' and that there is nothing we can do to earn eternity.  Jesus already paid the price for our salvation.   Galatians 2:16 "Yet we know that a person is made right with God by faith in Jesus Christ, not by obeying the law. And we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we might be made right with God because of our faith in Christ, not because we have obeyed the law. For no one will ever be made right with God by obeying the law.”
However, James 2:17 says, "Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless."  This past Sunday, pastor Caleb said, "if you want to see if someone is saved, look at their fruit."  I think that is so true.  Your fruit, or lack of, represents your faith.  Or lack of.  Someone without good works proves their faith is non-existent.  I think all the other verses about faith are still true.  James never says works alone are what you need. 
If you truly had faith, believed in Jesus death and resurrection and were filled with the Holy Spirit, there's no way you could stand to go through life not doing good works, content to do nothing and not act on your beliefs.  The drive to serve, the urge to bear fruit, the inner voice prompting you to sacrifice more would be irrepressible. 

"I believe in the sun
even when it is not shining
And I believe in love,
even when there's no one there.
And I believe in God,
even when he is silent."

-Holocaust wall

No comments:

Post a Comment