Monday, February 4, 2013

Skyfall, Homeschool and no more DLS

Last Friday night I unfortunately skipped skyping my sister to be social and go to the dollar theater to watch James Bond Skyfall. I'm officially done with recreationally watching movies. I've had it. Any movie that would remotely draw my interest usually requires me to drop my head multiple times, to avoid the scantily clad females and insinuated sex scenes. And that's just the start of the list of things to avoid. I feel like as a Christian there are much better ways to use my time. I have definitely noticed that since Katie, I don't even enjoy any movies that much anymore. But this particular evening it was more obvious than ever.
Even if you take away my new way of thinking, Skyfall sucked. It was so predictable. I felt like it was a watered down version of previous Bond films, mixed with a little Bourne, a little Batman and a little Mission Impossible. The 'bad guy' sucked. He wasn't bad enough or believable and just plain strange. They all but abandoned the plot over half way through. The excessively drawn out intro was unnecessary. The movie felt like it was four hours long and the ending was just plain bad. This film perfectly illustrates the country I no longer want to be a part of. It’s just frustrating to me that I canceled on sister for that. I have no respect anymore for Rotten Tomatoes, if they are going to give that garbage 92%.
Secondly, I've thought a lot about it in recent months. I know I have a bad habit of saying I'm going to do things in the future, in a strong-willed manner. I should make a list of things I say that draw responses like, 'son, you say that now, but you just wait....' But as of now, I'd like to homeschool my kids, at least up until high school. Obviously that requires a spouse to also be on board with that, but this hypothetical for now.
As a sub, I get to first-hand witness how much time is wasted by students everyday and how much pointless busy work they have to do. I feel like the high achieving kids receive the least amount of attention and their skills are not recognized very well or pushed to their potential. I also get to see how a public school can often be a negative influence on a kid. The list goes on and on. I'm not going to talk about all the benefits of homeschooling, but some of the bigger reasons include more time spent with your kid, no more busy work, 'do school' instead of have homework and notes shoved down your throat, freedom/independence, customization and flexibility. I think the benefits far outweigh the cons, such as it's difficult to evangelize to non-believers you encounter in public school, it's difficult to play organized sports and social skills are often a bit behind.
And last but not least, I propose four changes to the way America does things. 1. I think we should be on army time. That would make life easier and eliminate a lot of confusion. Just the other day I had a friend say, 'well I didn't get up in time because I set my alarm for 8 pm on accident instead of 8 am....' 2. I think we should get rid of Day Light Savings. It's outdated and unnecessary. Fall is my favorite season and it gets dark at like 4:30. When I was in high school I'd go to basketball practice before school and it'd be dark. Then I'd leave after evening practice and it'd be dark. 3. I think we should switch to the metric system. It'd make a whole lot more sense. It's so much easier to convert to larger measurements and it's how the rest of the world does it.
4. I think we should have a set calendar. Important days would be on the same day every year. This would eliminate a lot of hassle. Here is an interesting piece on that.

A true test of character is being able to continue working towards your goals at the worst of times

No comments:

Post a Comment