Sunday, February 3, 2013

Bleacher Report

I always said in college that if I didn't get degrees in Spanish and Exercise Science, I would have enjoyed studying Journalism or Psychology.  I loveee trying to figure out why people behave the way they do.  I found both my psychology classes in college interesting.  But I guess, now that I think about it, I'm not sure what one does with a Psych major.  Anyways, whenever I meet someone, I always have to know how old they are, where they are from and other similar information, because it helps explain why they do certain things.
In high school I really enjoyed Journalism class and writing for the school newspaper. I loved getting the information, making the sentences perfect, presenting new and creative ideas, putting the pictures together, etc. My favorite was sports journalism. I loved divulging my opinions on football and basketball and the latest story lines in those sports, at any level. I always told myself to write for the Greenville school paper, but I never did.
At the very beginning of 2012 I came across a website called bleacherreport.com. It's a sports website and all the contributors are amateurs. Then I found an ad to apply and do it myself! I was pretty excited and applied immediately. I knew I was a decent writer with ideas that were not common or everyday. I got accepted and got to work right away. I loved getting all the facts and sentences and ideas just right. I know some people would think writing articles would be boring but I found it quite enjoyable. I also became almost-obsessed with the view/comment counts. It keeps track of how many people see the article and at certain plateaus you get rewards that help you move up the ladder. When I published a piece, I would constantly check the article's progress and stats. I learned a lot from that experience. I learned that I did not know anywhere near as much as I used to about sports, that I shouldn't write about things I'm not an expert in, among other things. After Katie, I also realized that it was a waste of my time. It wasn't even hard to let it go. I did not have to wrestle with giving B/R up because there was no way I could justify regularly keeping up on millionaires who carry a ball across a white line, let alone several hours writing articles. There's no way seriously following and even looking up to babies who play a game was a good idea. There is no time to waste. We have to answer God's mission now. I could not see how B/R would help me further the Kingdom. And if I was going to be good at it, I'd have to spend even more hours on ESPN just so I would know what the heck I was talking about. After the SuperBowl, which I'm watching right now, I'm not even going to get on ESPN.com or bleacherreport.com for a while, probably until LeBron is in the Finals.  
Now I already have a post about sports so I'm not saying I'm cutting it off completely.  But now I just see it as a way to be social, so I doubt I'll spend time on it anymore if it's by myself.
It looks like the Ravens are going to win and I don't mind seeing Ray Lewis go out on top.  No player in history has ever won The Big Game 12 years apart.  

Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn’t work hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment